|The first reunion was planned for 1916, but was postponed to 1917 because
of infantile paralysis. H. Clayton Frankenfield presided. The
first officers elected were: President Levi F. Frankenfield, Vice President
William A. Frankenfield, Secretary Mark D. Frankenfield, Assistant Secretary
Mahlon L. Frankenfield, Treasurer H. Clayton Frankenfield and Historian
Milton R. Frankenfield. A larger program was published for the
reunion. The early reunions had a much larger attendance that those
of today. In 1919 there were five sets of twins in attendance a
the reunion, who were direct descendants of Simon Frankenfield.
A newspaper clipping on the 6th reunion (1922) states that over 400 attended the reunion that year. At the reunion James M. Frankenfield, Superintendent of Northampton County Schools, gae an address in which he mentioned the diligent work of Milton Frankenfield of Pleasant Valley. Milton was responsible for the reunion being organized. A motion was made and passed that when the family history shall be published Milton's portrait and history shall be placed in the front of the book.
In each of the early years of the reunion, information was collected and committees were appointed on necrology and history. By 1924 the preliminaries of a Family History were discussed. At that point in time they had talked to a publisher and ). Roy Frankenfield of Philadelphia talked on compiling, writing and financing the history. A pledge or guarantee was drawn up for this purpose. In 1925 the publish of a family history was extensively discussed and a subscription and guarantee list was begun. Even though a committee was appointed (in 1924) of Luther Frankenfield, Jenkintown, Mark D. Frankenfield, Butztown, and O. Roy Frankenfield, Philadelphia, a printed history was not produced at that time. However, many hand written ledgers were compiled and kept by the reunion. These volumes now in the possession of the Bucks County Historical Society were used in the preparation of the work. Lloyd Ziegenfuss of Hellertown drew up family trees or charts on large sheets of paper. These were done about 1932 and are also housed at the Bucks County Historical Society.
The Frankenfield monument now in the Springfield Church Cemetery was first discussed in 1919. An offering was taken that year and subscriptions were taken in 1920. The members of the committee elected to work on obtaining the monument in 1920 were: William Seiple (Bethlehem), Milton Frankenfield (Pleasant Valley, H. Clayton Frankenfield (Kintnersville) and Howard B. Frankenfield (Philadephia). In 1921 this committee consisted of Levi F. Frankenfield, William H. Seiple, Miss Emma A. Frankenfield, Mrs. Luther Frankenfield, and Milton R. Frankenfield. It was finally purchased for $235, erected April 22, 1922, and the inscription put on by A. M. Derr April 25, 1922.
In 1930 at the 14th annual reunion there were 15 members present who had attended all 14 reunions. Each of the early reunions had printed programs. Hymns and Family Songs were sung. Solos and other special music were preformed and addresses were given. In 1924 and 1925 planned recreation for children and adults included: 35 to 100 yard dashes, basketball and baseball throws, three-legged races, hop race, walk race, bag race and paper race.
In 1968 mention was mad to those who had worked to advance the clan. They were Milton Frankenfield of Pleasant Valley, who originated the research on the Frankenfield clan; Lloyd Ziegenfuss of Hellertown, who drew the maps, charts, and records of our clan; and Miss Amy Fabian of Revere, our treasure who helped to compile and type all the records.
In 1971 a petition was sent to Bucks County by the reunion to ask that the Frankenfield covered Bridge be repaired. In 1975 the first and apparently only newsletter was printed. In 1977 the Simon Frankenfield Tombstone was reset. This is the same stone that disappeared from the Trinity Lutheran Cemetery and has since been replaced.
In 1980 it was part of the reunion activities, a tombstone was placed in honor of Adam Frankenfield. Reunion members, who were also members of the daughter of the American Revolution, obtained the tombstone. Jane Hughes, regent of the Philadelphia Chapter DAR, led the Dedication Ceremony for Revolutionary Patriot, Adam Frankenfield. Other DAR members who took part were: Alfreda Patton, Marion Mizenko, Alice Brown, and Carol Dove. There were also members of the Children of the American Revolution (Meagan Mizenko and Pamela Miller) who took part in the ceremony. At the same reunion, Alfreda Patton was presented with a plant in appreciation for the book "Frankenfield Kin and Family Data".
After Simon Frankenfield's sandstone tombstone was taken, a new one was made and placed in the cemetery at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Springfield Township by the Quakertown memorials. In 1996, a plaque of appreciation for the new tombstone was give to Quakertown Memorials.
There have been many people who have served as officers of the reunion. Amy Fabian was treasurer for 42 years (1952-1994) and was given a plaque at the reunion in 1995. Natalie Rituper served for 20 years as secretary and prior to that her grandfather held the position for over 40 years. Charles Frankenfield died while serving as President and Michele Frankenfield Winter died in 1998 while serving as secretary of the reunion.
In September of 1999 a special reunion was held in honor of the 25oth anniversary of the arrival of Simon and Eve Frankenfield in the new world. A catered buffet dinner was held on Friday night at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Springfield Township. Prior to the dinner Alfreda Patton Davidson led a tour. First stop was to look at the old one room school across from the church, which was probably the original sit of the church where Simon and Eve worshipped. It is now the home of the Springfield Township Historical Society. Next stop was the cemetery. A short history was given on the three stones two for Simon and one for Adam). Those who were up to a walk followed Alfreda down the road next to the cemetery. The first home was has the base of a log cabin, and the barn across the road has the hold hinges. The second house has the base of a two story stone house. Adam Frankenfield was the owner of both homes in 1798, and he built the stone one, apparently in the first few years he lived there.
Just prior to the dinner, president Arlene Carr and Chaplain, the Rev. Albert C. Davidson, Jr. led a memorial service. For the blessing Alfreda sang "the Lord's Prayer". Dinner music was recordings of Parke Frankenfield of Florida. Following the meal, Alfreda spoke on the trip to America and the arrival of Simon Frankenfield and his family. She shared her most recent research on the purchase of land by Simon, the time of his death, and where she believes the land is today.
On Saturday a larger group of Frankenfields met of the annual meeting. Through the efforts of Kay Moser, there were a large number of proclamations from government officials. There were on display and copies were made available for purchase. Diane Frankenfield gave magnets to everyone that showed the Frankenfield Covered Bridge. Alfred spoke about the new book and Daphne Noone Spoke about Simon in Germany and his arrival in America.
The descendants of Andrew Frankenfield, who moved to Ohio in 1852, began their own reunion, but it was discontinued in 1978 due to lack of interest. They published a book about the Ohio Frankenfields.
Excerpted from The Frankenfield Family in America Beginning 24 August 1749 used by permission from the Author Alfreda Patton Davidson.